Day to day lab operations, workshops, programs
Degree in Fashion / Technology; Fresh grad
Adobe design software, sewing skills
ABOUT THE MILLS FABRICA
The Mills is a landmark revitalization project of Nan Fung’s old textile factories in Tsuen Wan in Hong Kong. This is a heritage and innovation project by the Nan Fung Group consisting of 3 pillars- a nonprofit Center for Heritage, Arts & Textiles (CHAT) focused on heritage & community, a retail mall Shopfloor focused on experiential & experimental retail and an innovation center Fabrica.
The Mills Fabrica is a go-to solutions platform accelerating techstyle (an intersection of technology and style – incl. fashion, textile, wearables and apparel) and agrifood tech innovations for sustainability and social impact. The Mills Fabrica runs a startup incubator, a VC investment fund and a co-working space/ lab/ store.
About the Role:
The Mills Fabrica is now looking to hire a Lab Assistant to operate Fabrica Lab; including organize day to day lab operations and programming for lab. Fabrica Lab is our state-of-the-art maker space at The Mills Fabrica, a place that merges the traditional capabilities of a prototyping lab—such as 3D printing, laser cutting, CNC milling—with garment making and fashion-focused facilities—like industrial-grade sewing machines, digital embroidery machines, 3D fashion design software—for all creators to bring their project to the next level. In addition to building a community of like-minded techstyle entrepreneurs through Fabrica’s global network, Fabrica Lab also provides knowledge sharing and education to the public, educators, and industry partners. Through experiential workshops that combine sustainability, new technologies, and product creation, everyone can learn new skills in a fun and professional environment.
- Ensure lab day to day operations, machines, consumable and tools are in place and good condition
- Set up safety system and training for all lab users creating machinery and areas access levels
- Set up working flow methods to have fair and good environment around the use of the lab
- Trouble shooting of lab machines
- Mentorship for student residents to develop and guide them through their projects
- Technical support for lab equipment (laser cutting / 3D body scanner / sewing machine / 3D printers)
- Continuous research for new technologies, materials and partners. Ex. Fair, supplier visits, etc.
- Create basic training programs and instructions data base for a safe use of the lab and machinery operation and organize training sessions for new members and lab workshops
- Organize workshops to demonstrate the use of technologies in the lab and give a better perspective on how to use them
- Communicate with residents and startups, making sure the lab setup is optimal for the development of their projects and address issues when needed
- Tailor workshops for the general public, schools and specific communities
- Create partnership with other labs and expand capabilities of Fabrica by leveraging their expertise and equipment
- Bring together startups and residents with vendor and suppliers from out network, organizing seminars to present new technologies, materials, etc.
- Assist on all Fabrica initiative events and activities as required
- Bachelor’s degree related to Fashion / Technology is highly preferred
- 1-2 years working experience in either other maker spaces / lab facilities or in education institutions focused on technology prototyping and programming
- Hands-on skill with strong passion in fashion and technology as well as interest in education / running of workshops / programs
- Strong communication skill and interpersonal skills
- Basic sewing skills
- Fast learner willing to adapt and take on new challenges
- Proficient in both written and spoken English / Chinese
- Proficient in all Microsoft software
- Proficient in Adobe Design Software’s such as Illustrator / Photoshop / Premier
- Fresh Graduate is welcome
How to apply
- By e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By mail: The Human Resources Manager, Nan Fung Development Limited, 23/F., Nan Fung Tower, 88 Connaught Road C, Central, HK
Remarks: You are required to click on the link below and read our Personal Information Collection Statement Pertaining to Recruitment carefully before you submit your application: www.nanfung.com/en/pics/.