Research on latest tech & Innovations
Fashion / Textiles / Food Science
Engagement with startups
ABOUT THE MILLS & THE MILLS FABRICA
The Mills is a landmark revitalization project of Nan Fung’s old textile factories in Tsuen Wan in Hong Kong. This is a heritage and innovation project by the Nan Fung Group consisting of 3 pillars- a nonprofit Center for Heritage, Arts & Textiles (CHAT) focused on heritage & community, a retail mall Shopfloor focused on experiential & experimental retail and an innovation center Fabrica.
The Mills Fabrica runs a startup incubator, a VC investment fund and a co-working space/ lab/ store. The focus area for Fabrica is in “techstyle”- intersection of technology and style (incl. fashion, textiles, wearables/ apparel). The Mills Fabrica’s mission is to create startup success stories and to build a wider community of corporates and organizations to inspire the industry and the next generation for innovation.
ABOUT THE RESEARCH ASSOCIATE ROLE:
The Mills Fabrica is now looking to hire a research associate to help with developing in-house knowledge / expertise and external research pieces about the industry.
Some of the key focus of the role:
- Research and analysis into latest technologies and innovations: Conduct research and analysis into latest innovation trends and technologies in fashion / textiles / food science or any other sectors as instructed by management including key industry innovation pain-points, benchmarking latest technologies / innovations in the space, drive understanding industry supply chains / manufacturing process and analyzing scalability potential of new technologies & implementation challenges
- Develop research pieces and publications: Write and develop research articles and publications about industry trend / innovations and help with the marketing of these publications
- Support on technical due diligence for startups to investment team: Help to conduct technical assessment on potential startups that Fabrica is evaluating for investment
- Support on engagement with partners / startups: Engage and develop new partnerships for Fabrica through sharing of research findings and learnings with industry partners and startups
- Develop in-house expertise / knowledge toolkit: Create knowledge toolkit and playbook on best practices / resources / tools in creating new technology startups that addresses key industry needs in fashion / food space or any other sectors
- University graduates majoring in Science / Engineering / Technology or other related disciplines; understanding of fields of related to biochemistry, biomimicry, bio-design, material science, food science, textiles engineering preferred
- 3-6 years of working experiences either in academia / research (in above fields) or industry technical research / commercialization (e.g. manufacturers) in above fields
- Preference for some experience in consumer product and related manufacturing industries (especially fashion / textiles or food space) and also for experience in technology commercialization / go-to market
- Strong interest in technical research / assessment for commercializing innovation / venture building (rather that just for academia purpose)
- Proficient in both written and spoken English; ideally also proficiency in Chinese
This is a unique opportunity to work on one of Hong Kong’s most prominent landmark heritage & innovation projects. Join us now to make a difference in Hong Kong’s exciting techstyle scene!
Additional Supporting Information
- Media profile about The Mills project: read more here
- Report about our focus area of “Techstyle” & key innovations in the scene: read more here
- Information about our portfolio companies: read more here
- Information about our incubation and examples of incubatees we work with: read more here
- Our thinking on sustainability: read more here
- Example of content we publish: read more here and here
How to apply
- By e-mail: email@example.com
- By mail: The Human Resources Manager, Nan Fung Development Limited, 23/F., Nan Fung Tower, 88 Connaught Road C, Central, HK
Remarks: You are required to click on the link below and read our Personal Information Collection Statement Pertaining to Recruitment carefully before you submit your application: www.nanfung.com/tc/pics/.